Still hanging out on this old site? Check out the new, improved Nocturnal Knits at its new location: http://www.nocturnalknits.com. Close [X]

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Frogging Fake Isle

Hey, what are you still doing on this old site? Click here to check out this post on the new nocturnalknits.com

I thought I had this one in the bag. I finished Fake Isle in two nights and was feeling pretty smug about it. Check it out:

Fake Isle

Looks awesome, right? Well, not so much. Look at the back:

Magnus and crappy seam

(Magnus has helped me with this project all along.) See the crappy seam? No? Look at this pic:

Back seam of Fake Isle

Bet you can see it now, even with the out-of-focus and uncentered picture. (Note to self: don't try to take pictures of the back of your own head anymore.)

Now, Fake Isle is patterned to be knit in the round. I decided it would be easier to knit it flat than to go out and buy size 6 double-pointed needles. I was wrong. Even with a selvedge stitch on each side, the seam looks craptastic. So, Fake Isle got frogged:

Frogs away!

Magnus helped me out:

Don't eat the Silk Garden yarn!

So, I pulled out the yarn and started again, this time knitting in the round. I also decided to make the larger size from the pattern because the small one was just slightly too snug for me. I don't know if it was too tight because my gauge was off (I never bothered to measure... it seemed good enough) or if the pattern runs small, but I definitely recommend making the larger size for an adult-size head, as I have a very small head myself. I do. It's tiny. Borderline microcephalic, I've been told.

Luckily, the yarns (Noro Silk Garden and Knit Picks' Swish DK superwash) frogged nicely:

Magnus and Noro

(Excuse the cat's evil eyes.)

Now I'm about a quarter way done with the hat. Hopefully I'll have it finished before my trip to Portland, Oregon, next week!

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home