Still hanging out on this old site? Check out the new, improved Nocturnal Knits at its new location: http://www.nocturnalknits.com. Close [X]

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Entrelac Baby Blanket


Hey, what are you still doing on this old site? Click here to check out this post on the new nocturnalknits.com

I believe I'm on a major entrelac kick. Actually, what I'm really obsessed with are self-striping yarns, and nothing highlights the fabulousness of said yarns like entrelac.

I bought six balls of Patons SWS on a whim. My boyfriend's sister was going to have a baby girl sometime mid-January, so I needed a baby gift. I was going to come up with something more elaborate, but then I realized how fun entrelac was and how easy making a baby blanket out of entrelac would be.

Here's the blanket about 3 1/2 balls in:

Baby Blanket in Progress

I was going to stop at 4 skeins, but my mom voted against it and said "bigger is better". She's a pediatrician, hence she's dealt with a lot of babies, so I took her advice.

Meanwhile, the January 15 due date was usurped by a December 28th delivery. Whoops. Mom and baby were both healthy, but the blanket wasn't finished. I ramped up my effort and knit furiously. For the last skein, I decided to try a knit backwards so I wouldn't have to turn every six stitches.

EUREKA! Knitting backwards is brilliant, and a lot easier than previously reported. I wish I had tried it earlier --- it certainly makes entrelac a whole lot faster. Here's how to knit backwards.

I finally finished last night. Here's the blanket before blocking:

Blanket Before blocking

Before blocking, the blanket measured about 30" x 21". Here's the blanket while blocking:

Blocking the Blanket

Blocking made the blanket measure 37" x 33". Definitely big enough for my mom's tastes.

Now that I can knit backwards, I'm really tempted to make another entrelac project. However, I really have to focus on some other knitting right now, so it'll be a while before I indulge my entrelac itch again.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

At 4:23 PM , Blogger Emily said...

Gorgeous!

 
At 6:40 PM , Blogger Amanda said...

That blanket is simply georgous! The more I see entrelac, the itchier my fingers get to try it.

 
At 9:43 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

its beautiful! im so itching to try sws.

is it machine washable? i always thought acrylic was the way to go for babies.

 
At 3:38 AM , Blogger Kate said...

That is absolutely gorgeous. I'm working on a Lady E, and a friend is considering making it into a blanket. I'm sending her a link to yours for inspiration!

 
At 7:24 AM , Blogger Jackie Lee said...

I was surfing the net today and found your blog. WOW. That baby blanket is beautiful. I don't knit, but I've never seen one like that ~ it's amazing.

I have a site where I provide baby blanket gift ideas. I thought it might be mutually beneficial if we swapped blogroll links.

Please take a look at my site and see if it's something you might be interested in. http://babyblanketgiftguide.com If you are at all interested please shoot me an email and let me know the text you want me to use in your link. I'll get it up right away and then send you the text for my link.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Jackie

 
At 1:40 PM , Blogger Blogging The Blogger said...

This blanket is gorgeous.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home