Still hanging out on this old site? Check out the new, improved Nocturnal Knits at its new location: http://www.nocturnalknits.com. Close [X]

Monday, May 15, 2006

Two New Bags


I don't know why, but I haven't knit anything since the entrelac hat. Instead, I've been sewing a lot. I'm actually in the process of figuring out what type of serger to buy. I desperately want a serger---so much that I'm considering going to buy one after work today. If I do, I'll post pictures and whatnot here.

For now, here are two bags I made recently.

The first is a bag I made for my friend's 25th birthday. Her birthday also happened to be the day we both turned our master's theses in, so it was a special occasion! All the fabric was leftover from a skirt I made almost 2 years ago. I held on to the fabric, hoping to make something awesome out of the remnants, and here is the result:

Free Image Hosting

Free Image Hosting

Free Image Hosting>

Free Image Hosting

You can just barely see the green through the eyelets. The only thing I would do over is the zipper -- I sewed it in well, but I wish I had used a zipper longer than 9". This bag was the first of its type that I had made, and I decided to try and make another.

I went fabric shopping with my stepmom at Michael Levine's in downtown L.A., and she picked out the fabric for this pink stripes and dots bag. I think it looks good, and I have to give her props because I would have never chosen those fabrics. Here it is:

Free Image Hosting

Free Image Hosting

Free Image Hosting

I really like the little bamboo rings I used. I also reinforced all the fabric with fusible fleece, so it's stiffer than my other bags. Incidentally, this bag is for sale at my etsy store.

The other notable feature of the above photos is my duct-tape dress form! I got my boyfriend to wrap me up in red duct tape and now I have a pretty good form to use for sewing.

I've been sewing skirts, too -- I'll post those once I bother taking pictures of them.

1 Comments:

At 11:30 AM , Blogger steve said...

hello my name is cindy chavez and just wanted to say i love your bags. i loved the white one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home